- Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis (J.D., 2005)
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
- Articles Editor of the Indiana Law Review
- Illinois Wesleyan University (B.A. in Economics and Public Accounting, 2002)
Honors: With Honors
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
Justin W. Leverton, Partner
Justin Leverton is a lawyer with Kroger, Gardis & Regas, LLP where he represents clients in a wide range of complex business transactions, real estate, corporate finance, and litigation. Mr. Leverton has an extensive background (both transactionally and as a litigator) in commercial and residential real estate, corporate/business law, leasing, commercial lending, oil & gas rights, and environmental law and uses this background to assist his current practice. His corporate experience encompasses everything from day-to-day operations to significant milestones such as the buying and selling of businesses. Mr. Leverton enjoys representing clients with novel legal issues and has assisted in several nationally prominent cases, including the 9/11 victims’ recovery suits against terrorist-sponsoring countries. He also has significant state and federal appellate court experience.
Mr. Leverton strongly believes in community outreach and is involved in several non-profit organizations. Mr. Leverton is a board member of the Brendonwood Homeowners Association and a director of the St. Waves Homeowners Association. He was a founding member of the Woodruff Place Economic Improvement District. He is the past President of the SERTOMA Club of Indianapolis, an organization that raises money to support those with hearing and speech disabilities throughout the United States. In his free time, Mr. Leverton enjoys spending time with his daughter, sailing, off-roading in the Outer Banks, gourmet cooking, riding his Harley, and the very rare surf trip.
- Represented owners in sale of a $500 million software company
- Negotiated and drafted numerous loan agreements and loan documents on behalf of lenders and borrowers
- Assisted new businesses with venture capital finance
- Regulatory compliance and governance issues with corporate clients
- Represented client in front of Indiana Securities Commission for alleged blue sky law violation
- Supervised comprehensive due diligence review in $9 million non-ferrous foundry acquisition
- Formed public transport company for client to lessen state sales tax impact
Mr. Leverton has extensive expertise in substantially all aspects of commercial & residential real estate and real estate finance and over time has represented each of the many parties in a wide array of transactions. His transactions and clients include:
- Commercial Mortgage and Real-Estate Company Financings and Workouts. Borrowers, lenders, and investors in the origination, modification, enforcement and workout of conventional commercial mortgage loans and revolving credit facilities.
- Distressed Situations. Purchasers and sellers of distressed properties
- Joint Ventures. Developers and investors in joint venture transactions to develop, redevelop, operate and/or finance office, hotel, and other commercial properties.
- Sale/Leasing Transactions. Buyers, Sellers, Lessors, and Tenants in the purchase, sale, and leasing of commercial buildings, multi-family residential, and single family residential.
- In re Lee, 898 F.3d 768 (7th Cir. 2018) – (7th Circuit upholding summary judgment in favor of plaintiffs in veil piercing case)
- Pflanz v. Foster, 888. N.E.2d 756 (Ind. 2008) – (Indiana Supreme Court case agreeing with Mr. Leverton’s position regarding the application of Indiana’s statute of limitations on Underground Storage Tank litigation).
- Stickdorn v. Zook, No. 89A01-1012-CT-670 (Ind. App. 2011) (Indiana Court of Appeals agreeing with Mr. Leverton’s position regarding the application of Indiana’s statute of limitations on reoccurring, temporary environmental nuisances).
- Kozlowski v. Kozlowski, NO. 1:10-cv-01538-MJD-RLY (S.D. Ind. 09/16/2011) (Novel claim of tortious interference with inheritance is recognized under Indiana law and survives dispositive motion).
- Assisted the 9/11 victims in their recovery suits against terrorist-sponsoring countries.
- Conducted multiple civil jury trials with significant experience in voir dire, direct and cross-examination, opening and closing arguments.
- Extensive exposure and involvement in depositions of fact witnesses, expert witnesses, and 30(b)(6) designated corporate witnesses.
- Initiated a class action lawsuit against a major insurance company in the US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana for violations of the Indiana Salvage Title Act and Indiana Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.
- Litigated against a major life insurance company for abusive I.R.C. 412(i) and 419 tax shelters
- (abusive defined benefit plans).
- Super Layers Rising Star 2012, 2014 – 2016, 2018 – 2019
- 2011 AAJ Student Trial Advocacy Competition Regional Coordinator (oversaw 16 teams from 10 Midwest law schools compete in a 3-day moot court competition). Serves as a board member of the AAJ law school subcommittee.
- 2011 AAJ Advanced Deposition College Graduate (New Orleans, LA)
- National Attorneys’ Title Assurance Fund Award (2003)
- Counsel to the Chairman of the Indiana State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (2012-2013)
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Board member of the Brendonwood Homeowners Association
- Director of the St. Waves Homeowners Association
- Founding member of the Woodruff Place Economic Improvement District
- “Data Security Breaches a Growing Concern Among Businesses” Inside Indiana, Fall 2008
- Avoiding Removal under the Class Action Fairness Act, Indiana Lawyer, October 2006
- “Bubble Mania,” stock market research paper published in The Park Place Economist